Saturday, April 9, 2011

Zephyr Cafe

My fiance is a former Marine and we go to the VA in Long Beach a lot. Thanks to my Los Angeles Vegan Guide that came Tuesday, I found out that there is a vegetarian/vegan cafe nearby, The Zephyr Cafe.

I had a glass of what they called "Hibiscus Iced Tea" but I call Jamaica. It wasn't very sweet, but it was nice and refreshing.

I also had a BLT, made with tempeh bacon, toasted whole wheat bread, vegan cream cheese, tomato and romaine lettuce.


It came with two toasted tortillas and a cup of salsa. They helpfully explain behind the counter that they no longer carry commercial brand blue chips, but use handmade tortillas from a local tortilleria to minimize environmental costs and "step away from corporations".
I enjoyed the sandwich. The bread had the little grains and whatnot in it, which I love. There were two strips of bacon in the sandwich, but I felt it would have been better with one. It was strongly flavored like barbeque and overpowered the other flavors in the sandwich a little. The cream cheese was a nice touch. The salsa was nice and fresh and the tortillas nice and crispy.

Mike had the tofu steak sandwich. I had a bite and the tofu was the opposite of the bacon: it lacked a lot of flavor. It was lightly grilled, but it didn't taste seasoned at all. The bun and toppings were good though.

I didn't have any dessert but there were lemon poppyseed and ginger wasabi (?!) cupcakes available.

There you have it. Pretty good vegetarian lunch for a decent price in the LBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment