Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Easter Feaster

I made several things for my Easter Feaster. My plans didn't work out the way I wanted, since Mikey had to work, but I did get my eat on.

I made Peanut Butter Cups the night before. These were mostly for my dad and Mikey, to encourage them to avoid dairy. They were so easy to make too! First I melted half a bag of chocolate chips in the microwave. I added in a little Earth Balance, mixed it in and then put it into cupcake holders:


I froze them while I went shopping for my nieces. When I came back, I got about a cup and half of peanut butter, mixed it with some Earth Balance (which is a margarine) and crushed about 5 vanilla wafers, and mixed them in as well. I then put a dollop of peanut butter on top of the frozen tops.
Then I melted the rest of the chocolate chips, mixed them with the Earth Balance and I dropped chocolate on the peanut butter. Spoons were not my friend here. I used a toothpick to even out the chocolate on top.

Things got messy. I froze those for about an hour and then they were ready to eat!




On the healthier side (sort of. Not really), I made an ambrosia salad. I took two chopped bananas, chopped pineapple, a can of mandarin oranges, a can of cubed pears, a small jar of maraschino cherries, a 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, shredded coconut and mixed them all together. Then I took some non-dairy pistachio pudding mix, mixed it with almond milk and poured about half over the salad (my sister ate the rest). And there you have it, easy ambrosia:



Finally, for dinner Mikey was going to make grilled stuffed mushrooms, but he was at work, so I made a simple meal instead. I cooked some green beans, made a salad, warmed some rolls and veganized a new mashed potato recipe I saw in a magazine. The original called for potato flakes (ew), chicken broth (ew) and white beans (yay). Instead, I boiled six peeled and chopped potatoes. When they were done and drained, I took a cup of vegetable broth and blended it with a can of white beans in the blender. I poured this mix into the potatoes instead of plain soymilk. I added about three spoonfuls of Earth Balance, a little bit of garlic and some salt and pepper. It came out really well. The bean taste was only slightly noticeable and it actually gave the potatoes a nice flavor. And I got my protein and carbs all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment