Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Vegan Mac and Cheese, Grandma Style

Whenever I would read mac and cheese recipes, I would think "wha?" when I got to the sauce part and the mixing of the cheese with flour and milk because I learned how to make mac and cheese from my grandma and she never did any of that. Now that I've gotten more into my culinary skills, I've made mac and cheese the traditional way but I still prefer my grandma's version, with tomato sauce and onions (veganized of course). Mike had never had my version of mac and cheese, so last night I got on it. Even now, when I make Amy's brand vegan mac, I throw in tomato sauce and green onions. Frankly, I think it tastes way better. But I digress. The very simple recipe:

1 box vegan macaroni noodles
1 can tomato sauce
3-4 green onions
2-3 cups of Daiya or vegan cheese of choice

First, boil the noodles for about seven minutes. You can adjust the amount of noodles depending on how much macaroni you want. Preheat the oven to 380.

Boil away, little ones.

After the mac is done, drain the noodles fully. Then take about half the noodles and put them in a casserole dish appropriate to the amount of mac you want. I was making less than I usually do, so I used a smaller dish this time.


Take the can of tomato sauce, pour about half on the noodles and mix it in with them. Then add 1 1/2 chopped green onions and mix in as well. Then coat with a layer of cheese.



Take the remaining noodles and make a second layer in your dish. Pour the remain tomato sauce on top and mix it in without disturbing the bottom layer. Add the rest of your green onions and coat with a nice even layer of cheese.

Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese browns a little. I was in a rush to go watch Mike's nieces and I didn't let it brown enough. It still tasted good.

I usually put a big helping of salt and pepper on my serving, but that's just a personal preference. This goes well with a nice side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment