Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Meatloaf!

I got an urge to eat meatloaf the other day, and one thing after another prevented me from making it. My other issue was that none of the meatloaf recipes I found were what I wanted or else they were complicated. Red meat was the last thing I gave up and I have fond memories of eating a big meatloaf sandwich with red onion, made for me by my grandma. So I set out to create my own meatloaf recipe, suited to my tastes.

1 1/2 package veggie crumbles, defrosted
1 c. bread crumbs (go more or less depending on preference)
1 can of plain tomato sauce
1/2 onion, chopped (I prefer red, brown will also work)
2 tbs vegan Worcester sauce
2 tbs tamari
Salt, pepper, dried oregano and dried basil, to taste
1 tsp garlic salt

I set the oven to 350. I warmed the veggie crumbles in the microwave. Defrosting is preferable if you have time. I mixed the crumbles with bread crumbs. Once they were mixed, I added in the tomato sauce, a little bit at a time, mixing as I went along. Then I added the tamari and worcester sauce and mixed well.

Note: don't use the bread crumbs in the pic! They aren't vegan....someone bought these for me without reading the label. There's a lot of junk in there.
I added a little bit of salt, pepper, basil and oregano and threw in a tiny bit of garlic salt. Finally, I added the chopped onions. I pressed the mixture into an oiled loaf pan and baked it in the oven for half an hour.
Before
After
When it was done, I served it with portobello mushroom gravy on top, the recipe which I got here and a nice spinach salad.



This recipe would easily adapt itself to the inclusion of other veggies such as carrot cubes or chopped celery. I want to mess with it a little and see how that works, but it got the seal of approval from my meat-eating mother and my very recent vegetarian fiance and I hope it can encourage other omnis out there to give it a try :)

1 comment: