Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Vegan Chili

I had to make dinner tonight because Mikey flaked out, so I looked around and decided it was chili night. My mom has a set recipe for this but I'm a little more experimental. So here's what I did:
I sauteed a chopped white onion and garlic with a little oil, then added a bag of soy meat. I seasoned it with cumin, chili powder and salt. Then I decided I needed more spice so I chopped up two serrano chiles and threw them in. I also added a little orange bell pepper. I still wasn't satisfied, so I added chopped tomato. This is what it looked like.















Then I added a can of chili beans and a can of black beans. I'd like to soak my own beans someday; however, dinner in a hurry does not equal soaked beans. I simmered the mixture for about ten minutes and added a little more chili powder and salt.




















After ten minutes of patient waiting, I was starving. I served it atop a green salad with some leftover chopped onion and Daiya cheese on top.




I think this may be my favorite version yet, but I still want to play around with chili. I found a recipe for sweet potato black bean chili at work today, so that may be veganized in the near future!

3 comments:

  1. This looks so good! One question, what is Daiya cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fairly new brand of vegan cheese that I love. It tastes a lot like regular cheese. One reason why people love it so much it that it melts exactly like regular cheese (not all vegan cheeses do that) and it's not made of soy. Honestly, Mikey's a cheese freak and he loves it, so it must be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna have to try it! My stomach doesn't do so well with the dairy soooo...it be nice to find a substitute. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete