Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cacao Mexicatessen in Eagle Rock

Cacao Mexicatessen in Eagle Rock is awesome. I first read about it in Quarrygirl.com about a year ago and I have been wanting to try it ever since, Today Mike and I finally made it there. All the vegetarian items there can be easily veganized by asking for no cheese. The items are also not your typical Mexican fare. They had a vegetarian jamaica burrito/taco/sope, but I guess I was too scared to try it. I had been looking forward to trying the portobello tacos, but when I got there, I didn't see them on the menu. However, what I did have was freaking delicious.


We began with chips and salsa. The salsa was exactly how I like it--rich tasting and fairly hot. I can't stand weak salsas, and I'm fairly picky about taste and freshness, but this one passed the test. The chips were pretty rad, too. They were lightly seasoned with chile and salt. Next to them is my drink, which was a papaya and mango aguas fresca.It hit the spot...cool and sweet and delicious, with little papaya chunks in it.


We also ordered mole fries, which we didn't really get to taste because it came out as the same time as our meals, which were huge, as you will see. However, Mike had a few and said it the mole was perfect, not too sweet, not too spicy. In the deli case, the label on the mole said "Imported from Oaxaca" so I think that had something to do with the authenticness of it.



My meal was tacos de papas (potatoes). I asked for no cheese, but that apparently didn't translate over to the beans. Oh well. They were pretty freaking good. I eat a lot of potatoes de papas and these were probably the best ones I've ever had. The blue corn tortilla complimented the flavor of the red salsa and potato. The potatoes themselves were cooked in a salsa of some kind that I think was tomatillo and green chile. Either way, they were pretty damn good.


Mike got the calabacitas burrito. It consisted of mexican squash and corn, mixed with rice and frijoles de la olla (no lard!). I snagged a bite and it was pretty good. It reminded me of the squash enchiladas I make. I promised him I'd make him one with Daiya soon.

All together, I give them 9 out of ten vegan cats! I am super stuffed now and plan to laze around in my fatness before work.

No comments:

Post a Comment