Saturday, March 26, 2011

Disneyland Vegan Food Pt. One

I go to Disneyland a lot. My fiance, Mike, bought me a pass for Christmas and I'm kind of a sucker for Disneyland. It was always my favorite place to go as a kid. I hear a lot of blah blah, corporate, blah, blah, but, you know, a lot of stuff is corporate and I love Disney cheesiness.
Moving on, since I spend a lot of time at Disneyland, I thought I'd help people finding vegan options there, since there aren't as many as at Walt Disney World in Orland (more on that in a second). I had read via Disneyland's FB page that the Hungry Bear Cafe in Critter Country recently redid it's menu and although most of it contained meat, I saw "Fried Green Tomato Sandwich" and I knew I had to give it a try. I looked up the ingredients online: fried green tomatoes with a cornmeal crust, jicama pepper slaw, remoulade, and havarti on a multigrain bun. I looked up remoulade since I had no clue what that was (it's akin to mayo) and Havarti I knew was cheese. When we got to Disneyland, I asked the servers at the Hungry Bear if the cornmeal contained dairy. They said it did not. One was a vegetarian and knew what I was talking about so I trusted her. The sandwich is also made to order, so I easily took off the remoulade and havarti. It came with a side of sweet potato fries as well.
Here is the pic:


(Sorry about the lighting, it was 8:00 p.m. and the lighting was bad)

It was a damn good sandwich. The jicama-pepper slaw was slightly tart, which complimented the sweetness of the cornmeal. There was also cabbage in there and red onions, both pickled. The tomatoes themselves were savory and warm. And the sweet potato fries! Damn, Disney does NOT mess around. When I was a kid, I remember their food being kind of bland, but not this stuff. It was delicious. When I was done with my sandwich, I kinda wanted another one! It was that good!
Just a side note, there is also a salad advertised as a chicken salad there, but I was told could be made vegetarian. Also, the veggie burgers are still available at the Hungry Bear, they just aren't on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment