Monday, March 28, 2011

Vegan Ceviche

Mikey is new to veganism (he's on the Crazy Sexy Diet with me) and so I try to veganize his old favorites as much as possible. He is a huge seafood fan, particularly ceviche. Having never had ceviche myself since I've been vegetarian for so long, I looked up several different ceviche recipes and played around with them to make my own for lunch today.
Here's the end result:



I combined chopped and cooked cauliflower with cucumber, tomatoes, white onion and carrot, all finely chopped. I added the juice of five lemons, a little olive oil, sea salt and black pepper to the mix. Something was still missing, so I threw in two finely chopped serrano peppers and Voila!




I served it on tostada shells, in the traditional fashion.



The former meat-lover gave it a thumbs up! He said "I guess I don't need fish to enjoy a good ceviche". Success!

Next time, I think I will add some radish and see how that works out. Many ceviche recipes say to add V-8 or another tomato juice but I didn't want to add the salt and Mikey said the ones without it taste better, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment